8. Portfolio + 6 Specific Career Ladder Courses + Observation (must have level 4 prior to 7/1/2011)
Portfolio Option: Applicants must already have a Level 4 prior to July 1, 2011.
- Ages & Stages
- Learning in the Early Years
- A Great Place for Kids
- Strong & Smart
- Learning to Get Along
- Advanced Child Development
Applicants must have an observation and submit a portfolio . All Portfolios will be sent to CCPDI.
The observation: An observation is required as part of this demonstrated competency. The applicant is responsible for finding an observer that has been approved by CCPDI. click here for approved observers. Upon request, CCPDI will provide the observation instrument that outlines the requirements. The observer will need sign a letter that includes their contact information stating that the applicant has passed the observation with 75% or higher, and it must be sent to CCPDI with the application.
The portfolio: The portfolio will contain 3 Sections.
1. The first section is an autobiography of your work in the field of early childhood
2. The second section will be statements* on how you address the following areas in your work:
- Safety and Health
- Child Development
- Guidance and Emotional Wellness
- Setting up Learning Environment that supports Physical, Social, Cognitive, Language & Literacy, and Creativity
- Observation and Assessment
- Family and Community Relations
- Professional and Personal Development
*There needs to be 7 different statements, at least one page per statement, double spaced, 12pt. font. Use the Utah Core Competencies as a guideline to complete these statements.
3. The third section is a self-reflection process that addresses the following four questions:
- What do I believe about the importance of being an early childhood professional?
- Why do I believe it?
- How do I implement this philosophy in my work with children?
- In what ways do I feel that I have grown as a professional that would effectively demonstrate that I am a competent early childhood caregiver?